Bendabout Bits: Bringing Up Boys

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bringing Up Boys

I love to read. However it has taken me MONTHS to read Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson. For example, in the past month, I have had a miscarriage and have been battling Vertigo and a horrid sinus infection for 2 weeks. So reading, has not been on the top of my list. Thankfully, I finished the book today.

If you have children, you undoubtedly know that boys are different. Not better or worse than girls, just different. They just seem to have their own set of challenges and lets not forget joys. "Boys will be boys"..."Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails"...."Don't worry he's just a boy". Are all constant reminders of differences.

Our son, Mason, has been the biggest joy of my life! I love how he loves to learn, he gets so excited by seeing the moon in the daytime. Trying to catch bubbles can provide hours of fun and laughter. Watching a worm slither on top of the grass is awe inspiring. How sad is it that we all grow up and seem to lose that great curiosity and wonder of life in the world and nature around us. I'm so thankful that I have Mason to "remind" me almost daily of all the wonderful things life has to offer us.

Parenting a boy...especially those "active" ones can be a challenge and a great blessing at the same time. If you are having behavior problems this book is for you. If you are not having behavior problems this book is for you as well!! James Dobson does a great job with this book and I will now recommend this book to anyone I know that will be having a boy. Anyway, if you have a son....will have a son...or have a boy in your life -- whether you are an aunt, uncle, grandparent, friend, etc. This book is for you. It's an easy read and provides us a glimpse into a little boys (of all ages) world and how to protect them and parent them while protecting their God-given strengths.

Here are some websites for you to check out on this book as well.
http://www.bringingupboys.com/

1 comment:

Ryan and Amber said...

Wow Melissa, I had no idea what all you have been going through. I'm so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. :( Thank you for the book recommendation. I will definately have to check that out!